Communities are at the forefront of aclean energy revolution
WHY WE MATTER
With crisis comes opportunity… COMMUNITIES ARE AT THE FOREFRONT OF A CLEAN ENERGY REVOLUTION happening around the globe as government leaders, businesses and community members collectively embrace clean, renewable power like solar and wind, to replace dirty fossil fuel power. Increasingly, people are asking their city leaders to develop and act on ambitious and sustainable energy, infrastructure and climate plans; and community and business leaders are seeing the social, political, and economic benefits of doing so.
Menlo Park is thriving, but also choking — the vibrancy of our community is threatened by traffic congestion, lack of affordable housing and too few convenient alternatives to driving. The good news is that the same measures that we take to address climate change can make our community strong, healthy and a great place to live. Here in Menlo Park, we’re uniquely situated to pull together bold new ideas, innovative technology and proven sustainability measures to solve community problems and create a healthier, more vibrant city.
Eases Traffic Congestion
Diverting just ten percent of traffic during rush hour can cut the gridlock to get everyone moving – safe bike routes, bike shares and better public transit options can do this.
Increases Community Safety
Safe routes to school, and safer sidewalks and bike routes will bring more people out into public places, making the city safer for everyone
Strengthens Disaster Preparedness
Solar microgrids and home solar systems coupled with battery energy storage and electric vehicles can ensure safety and resilience if the power goes out.
Sparks Appropriate Economic Development
Sustainability and innovation attract 21st century businesses and top talent by setting Menlo Park above other towns
Protects Civic Heritage
Green development standards create more walkable, people-friendly communities, with more trees and amenities that celebrate iconic downtown public spaces.
Helps Protect Our Community Environment
Contributing to a more stable climate can help mitigate sea level rise from the Bay, severe storms and drought, and loss of birds and other wildlife.
- Melting glaciers, early snowmelt, and severe droughts will cause more dramatic water shortages and increase the risk of wildfires.
- Rising sea levels will lead to severe coastal flooding.
- More extreme weather including intense heat waves and flooding will harm public health and damage agriculture and fisheries.
- Coral reefs and other ecosystems will experience severe habitat and species loss.
- Asthma, infectious disease and allergies will become more common due to higher levels of air pollution, the spread of pathogens and mosquitoes to more areas as they warm, and increases in pollen-producing weeds.
WE SHOULD – WE CAN – AND WE WILL put our innovative culture and top minds to work on the most pressing social and environmental challenge of our time. We will lead by example.